Make your own curry paste or use shop bought. Add rice stick noodles to add some bulk to the soup if you desire. Garnish with sliced red chilli and fresh coriander.
3 cups chicken stock (salt reduced)
1 lemongrass stalk, cut into 4 pieces and smashed
1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
1 inch piece ginger, peeled and cut into large slices
6 coriander stems + more for garnish
1 boneless skinless chicken breast or 200g firm tofu cut into cubes
1 tablespoon coconut oil
3 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon red curry paste
1 large handful green beans, topped, tailed and cut into 2 cm pieces
1 cup coconut milk
juice of 1 lime + 1 lime to serve
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 teaspoon coconut palm sugar
- Put the chicken stock, lemongrass, garlic clove, ginger, coriander, chicken breast (or tofu) and large pinch of salt in medium saucepan. If the liquid doesn’t cover the chicken, switch to a smaller saucepan or add more water. Bring to a boil; turn off the heat, cover and let sit for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken, shred, and reserve the poaching liquid.
- In a separate saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium heat. Add sliced shallots, and sauté until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the curry paste, and sauté for one minute to cook a bit.
- Use a sieve to strain the chicken poaching liquid into the shallot/curry paste mixture and allow to simmer gently. Add rice stick noodles here if you are including.
- Add coconut milk, shredded chicken, beans, mushrooms, lime juice, soy and palm sugar to the soup.
- Taste for seasoning, garnish with coriander and serve with extra lime on the side.
Cals 301; total fat 22.1g; total carbs 13.2g; protein 15.2g; sodium 1176mg; cholesteral 32mg; potassium 470mg; dietary fiber 2.9g; sugars 4.7g